Justin Mares is looking to hire a Chief of Staff to work with me across multiple projects, in order to free up more of my time to focus on Teneo.
This is different from most traditional Chief of Staff roles as this is outside of a company. I view this role as working at a “super-mini-family office meets holding company” that will help manage my investments and creative projects.
This is a flexible role — it can be part-time, full-time, or project-based. Remotely from anywhere. This is not an EA role (as I work with an assistant already).
Would be a tour-of-duty of 12+ months (where we check-in at the end of the period to renew or transition) with a 30-day trial period for both sides.
I am casting a wide net to attract different types of candidates as there are different responsibility areas.
- Execution — dive in to early stage startups I've incubated/founded and get your hands dirty. Responsibilities could look like working with me on a project to build an outbound sales strategy, building a pipeline of potential businesses to acquire, working to build out a marketing strategy, or do any number of the million things early-stage startups need to get done.
- Special Projects — Manage projects that don’t fit neatly into a box, which can range from designing a system, building a go-to-market strategy, or incubating a new idea. This would be a good fit for someone that is operational.
What I’m Looking For
- Extremely organized, high attention-to-detail, and enjoys designing systems.
- A blend between analytical and creative — can create a pivot table within a spreadsheet and can think creatively from a marketing and "figure it out" standpoint.
- Incredibly driven, proactive, and autonomous. You should be able to manage your own projects.
- Located in the North America timezone and preferably within the Austin, TX area (but not required).
- Intellectually curious and has a deep interest in entrepreneurship and creating, growing and scaling companies.
Why You Might Be Interested
- Work closely with an entrepreneur but not sure if you want to invest or operate and want exposure to both.
- Looking for a mentor and/or coach who will take them under his/her wing to learn 10x faster.
- You want to understand how an early stage startup works from the inside, without the career risk.
- You're interested in starting your own company, and want to help incubate an idea with someone who's done it before.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in joining, send me an email with answers to the following:
- A link to your Twitter, LinkedIn, and other online profiles.
- What’s your current job and what do you love about it?
- What’s something extraordinary that you’ve accomplished?
- What’s your personal productivity process?
- If you had $100K to invest into anything, what would it be and why?
- What is a contrarian view you have?
- On a scale of 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree), do you disagree or agree with this statement: "You are a certain kind of person, and there is not much that can be done to really change that." Why?